Management Accounting Change and ERP, an Assessment of Research
AbstractExtant accounting literature shows that there is increasing research interest into effects of ERP systems on management accounting and control practices (c.f. Granlund, Mouritsen, 2003). This paper provides a review of the literature and identifies knowledge gaps and shows opportunities for research. The review reveals that there are two main streams of research. The first uses a structural approach, while the second uses a process approach. The structural stream adopts a functional approach to technology and is deterministic in nature. It implies the assumption that ERP is the driver of organizational performance improvement. The process approach stream on the other hand seeks to explain how processes of change unfold and how outcomes develop over time (see for example Granlund and Mouritsen, 2001, Granlund and Malmi, 2000, Scapens and Jazayeri, 2003, Caglio, 2003, Quattrone and Hopper, 2004). The focus in this stream is on several different issues, such as hybridization of the accountants' work due to the adoption of ERP and the impacts of ERP on introducing innovative accounting practices. The review of extant literature reveals that there is no cumulative body of research. In this paper several causes for this lack of accumulation are identified. Furthermore, there proves to be very limited coherence among the different studies. Finally, our review shows that although there is some attention for effects of ERP on Management Control, research on this particular subject is still very much lagging behind. We extend our literature review by going through literature from the Information Systems field. It proves that there are some similarities between the two different fields. Based on the findings of our literature review the following recommendations for further research are given: (1) Focus on studying the Management Control aspects of ERP, using a process approach, (2) Build on the results of earlier results of research in Accounting, and (3) Build on the results of earlier research in the IS field.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 9582.
Date of creation: 05 Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Management Accounting Change; ERP systems; management control theory; Information Systems;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ariela Caglio, 2003. "Enterprise Resource Planning systems and accountants: towards hybridization?," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 123-153.
- Lowe, Alan & Locke, Joanne, 2005. "Perceptions of journal quality and research paradigm: results of a web-based survey of British accounting academics," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 81-98, January.
- Sudhir Lodh & Michael Gaffikin, 2003. "Implementation of an integrated accounting and cost management system using the SAP system: a field study," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 85-121.
- Dechow, Niels & Mouritsen, Jan, 2005. "Enterprise resource planning systems, management control and the quest for integration," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(7-8), pages 691-733.
- Timo Hyvonen, 2003. "Management Accounting And Information Systems: Erp Versus Bob," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 155-173.
- Quattrone, Paolo & Hopper, Trevor, 2005. "A 'time-space odyssey': management control systems in two multinational organisations," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(7-8), pages 735-764.
- Robert Scapens & Mostafa Jazayeri, 2003. "ERP systems and management accounting change: opportunities or impacts? A research note," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 201-233.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.