Enterprise Resource Planning systems and accountants: towards hybridization?
AbstractThis paper aims to examine how the adoption of a new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system challenges the definition of the expertise and roles of accountants within organizations, leading to new, hybrid positions. By drawing on structuration theory, we propose to conceptualize the potential change in accountants' practices and positions as a structuration process, and ERP systems as modalities of structuration, providing new interpretive schemes, norms and co-ordination and control facilities, which influence the direction of hybridization between accountants and other professional groups. Since the results of this process are neither predictable a priori, nor generalizable, we are convinced that detailed interpretive case studies of ERP implementations are needed to understand their complex impacts on accountants. Hence, we provide one such study in order to explore the 'ambiguous' and often inconsistent consequences for accountants deriving from the adoption of an ERP system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 12 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brandau, Michael & Endenich, Christoph & Trapp, Rouven & Hoffjan, Andreas, 2013. "Institutional drivers of conformity – Evidence for management accounting from Brazil and Germany," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 466-479.
- Aernoudts, R.H.R.M. & Boom, T. van der & Vosselman, E.G.J. & Pijl, G.J. van der, 2005. "Management Accounting Change and ERP, an Assessment of Research," MPRA Paper 9582, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dechow, Niels & Mouritsen, Jan, 2005. "Enterprise resource planning systems, management control and the quest for integration," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(7-8), pages 691-733.
- Valentin Florentin Dumitru, 2011. "The Impact of Information Technologies on the Organization and Functioning of the Company," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 13(Special N), pages 754-770, November.
- João A. Ribeiro & Robert W. Scapens, 2006. "Institutional theories in management accounting change: Contributions, issues and paths for development," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 94-111, July.
- Chapman, Christopher S. & Kihn, Lili-Anne, 2009. "Information system integration, enabling control and performance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 151-169, February.
- Chapman, Christopher S., 2005. "Not because they are new: Developing the contribution of enterprise resource planning systems to management control research," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(7-8), pages 685-689.
- Timo Hyvönen & Janne Järvinen & Jukka Pellinen, 2006. "The role of standard software packages in mediating management accounting knowledge," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 145-160, July.
- Catalin Nicolae Albu & Nadia Albu & Robert Faff & Allan Hodgson, 2008. "The Changing Role Of Accountants In A Transition Economy Â€“ Evidence From Romania," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(10), pages 5.
- Valentin Florentin Dumitru & Nadia Albu & Cătălin Nicolae Albu & Mădălina Dumitru, 2013. "ERP implementation and organizational performance. A Romanian case study of best practices," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 15(34), pages 518-531, June.
- Ewelina Zarzycka, 2012. "Implementation Of An Erp Package And Its Effect On The Management Accounting System – Author’S Own Research Into Enterprises In Poland," "e-Finanse", University of Information Technology and Management, Institute of Financial Research and Analysis, vol. 8(3), pages 85-96, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.