Innovative Activity of Small Tourist Enterprises – Cooperation with Local Institutional Partners
AbstractAccording to the open innovation model an effective strategy for increasing innovation and competitiveness of the region should be based on active and multilevel cooperation among operators of the local tourism business environment. It is commonly assumed that an exceptionally important role in creating a favorable environment for the cooperative practices in the region is performed by local authorities. Yet, a modest number of research findings presented in the literature indicate a rather high level of inertia of local authorities in creating appropriate conditions for tourism business development, thus putting in question the effectiveness of performed intermediary function in the process of knowledge transfer among tourist enterprises. Given the paucity of empirical evidence on effectiveness of innovation policy interventions at the regional level, this article presents the empirical findings regarding cooperation in innovation between tourist enterprises and local institutional agents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 52991.
Date of creation: 15 Sep 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Innovation 1.9(2013): pp. 17-32
tourism; innovation; cooperation; institutional environment; local government;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H70 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - General
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2014-01-24 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CWA-2014-01-24 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-INO-2014-01-24 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2014-01-24 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2014-01-24 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TUR-2014-01-24 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sundbo, Jon & Orfila-Sintes, Francina & Sorensen, Flemming, 2007. "The innovative behaviour of tourism firms--Comparative studies of Denmark and Spain," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 88-106, February.
- Trigo, Alexandre & Vence, Xavier, 2012. "Scope and patterns of innovation cooperation in Spanish service enterprises," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 602-613.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.