Turismo no litoral versus turismo no interior Português. O destino turístico Serra da Estrela
[Coastal tourism versus inland Portuguese tourism. The Serra da Estrela tourist destination]
AbstractThis article looks at the Serra da Estrela mountain range as a tourist destination in the context of the inland Portuguese tourist destinations, identifying its direct competitors as well those that complement its tourism offer. We note the changes in national tourist dynamics, with the inland regions growing at a faster rate than the coastal ones. As a tourist destination the Serra da Estrela could benefit from having the Douro (whose growth is greater) and the Central Alentejo regions (the more established inland destination) as allies. Furthermore, the Serra da Estrela needs to increase its competitive profile to compete with the Trás-os-Montes region, which presents similar competitive arguments (rural and mountain destination).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4706.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Coastal tourist destinations; inland tourist destinations; comparative advantages; competitive advantages; territorial marketing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- M3 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2007-09-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-MKT-2007-09-09 (Marketing)
- NEP-TUR-2007-09-09 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Reis Silva, Joana & Reis Silva, Jorge Miguel & Vaz, Margarida, 2009.
"A Acessibilidade como um factor chave do desenvolvimento do turismo em regiões periféricas: O caso da Beira Interior
[Accessibility as a key factor of the development of tourism in peripheral reg," MPRA Paper 21763, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.