Cointegration between Investment and Saving in Selected Asian Countries: ARDL Bounds Testing Procedure
AbstractThis paper investigates empirically the relationship between savings and investment in Indonesia, Philippines and Thailand by employing the bounds testing procedure. There are not many studies on the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle for the developing countries. Using bounds testing for cointegration, the results do not support a positive correlation between savings and investment in these three Asian countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 45076.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Savings; investment; bounds test; cointegration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-18, Nov.-Dec..
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2005. "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1979-1990.
- Martin Schmidt, 2003. "Savings and investment in Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 99-106.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Kasuga, Hidefumi, 2004. "Saving-investment correlations in developing countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 371-376, June.
- Tamim Bayoumi, 1990. "Saving-Investment Correlations: Immobile Capital, Government Policy, or Endogenous Behavior?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(2), pages 360-387, June.
- Sinha, Dipendra, 2002. "Saving-investment relationships for Japan and other Asian countries," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Andrew J. Abbott & Glauco De Vita, 2003. "Another Piece in the Feldstein--Horioka Puzzle," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(1), pages 69-89, February.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Lucio Sarno & Mark Taylor, 1998. "Exchange controls, international capital flows and saving-investment correlations in the UK: An empirical investigation," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(1), pages 69-98, March.
- Dipendra Sinha & Tapen Sinha, 1998. "An Exploration of the Long-Run Relationship between Saving and Investment in the Developing Economies: A Tale of Latin American Countries," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 20(3), pages 435-443, April.
- Kumar Narayan, Paresh, 2005. "The relationship between saving and investment for Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 293-309, August.
- De Vita, Glauco & Abbott, Andrew, 2002. "Are saving and investment cointegrated? An ARDL bounds testing approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 293-299, October.
- Abu N.M. Wahid & Mohammad Salahuddin & Abdullah M. Noman, 2010. "Savings and investment in South Asia: Evidence from likelihood ratio based panel cointegration," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 658-666, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.