The impact of mega sports events on the stock markets
AbstractThis study attempts to estimate the impact of mega sports events organization on the stock market. For this purpose, there were selected seven sporting events taking place in the World Cup and European Football Championships and summer and winter Olympic Games. Next their impact on national equity markets represented by the major stock indices was determined. The study was conducted in two periods of research, ie the date of publication decision to hold an event and during the event itself.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 44467.
Date of creation: 18 Feb 2013
Date of revision:
mega sport event; stock market; stock indices; Olympic Games; World Cup; European Football Championship;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2013-03-16 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-SPO-2013-03-16 (Sports & Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2013-03-16 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabrielle Berman & Robert Brooks & Sinclair Davidson, 2000. "The Sydney Olympic Games announcement and Australian stock market reaction," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(12), pages 781-784.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.