Multidimensional Measurement of Poverty in Pakistan: Provincial Analysis
AbstractThis paper has estimated multidimensional poverty for four provinces of Pakistan using PSLM dataset for years 2005-06 by applying Alkire and Foster (2007) methodology. Nine dimensions were selected for this study: Housing, Electricity, Water, Asset, Sanitation, Education, Expenditure, Empowerment and Land. Results found that overall Balochistan shows the worst picture, followed by NWFP, Sindh and Punjab. In urban areas of different provinces Balochistan is more multidimensionally poor followed by NWFP, Sindh and Punjab. As far as the rural area is concerned Balochistan is multidimensionally poor followed by Sindh, NWFP and then Punjab. Result shows that the most pervasive level of poverty exists in rural areas of different provinces. The analysis of contribution of each dimension in multidimensional poverty at different cutoffs showed that the major contributors are, land, empowerment, housing, assets and sanitation. This study also presents an empirical evidence of significant lack of overlap in the identification by the monetary and multidimensional approach in case of Pakistan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 42119.
Date of creation: 22 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Pakistan; Multidimensional Poverty; Provincial Analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P36 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Consumer Economics; Health; Education and Training; Welfare, Income, Wealth, and Poverty
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolff, Edward N, 1990. "Wealth Holdings and Poverty Status in the U.S," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 36(2), pages 143-65, June.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Lugo, Maria, 2006.
"The Information Basis of Multivariate Poverty Assessments,"
Departmental Working Papers
0603, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Esfandiar Maasoumi & Maria Ana Lugo, 2008. "The Information Basis of Multivariate Poverty Assessments," Emory Economics 0804, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Awan, Masood Sarwar & Waqas, Muhammad & Aslam, Muhammad Amir, 2011. "Multidimensional Poverty in Pakistan: Case of Punjab Province," MPRA Paper 32875, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Haroon Jamal & Amir Jahan Khan & Imran Ashraf Toor & Naveed Amir, 2003. "Mapping the Spatial Deprivation of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 91-111.
- David E. Sahn & David Stifel, 2003. "Exploring Alternative Measures of Welfare in the Absence of Expenditure Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 463-489, December.
- François Bourguignon & Satya Chakravarty, 2003.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 25-49, April.
- Van den Bosch, Karel, 1998. "Poverty and Assets in Belgium," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(2), pages 215-28, June.
- Thon, Dominique, 1979. "On Measuring Poverty," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 25(4), pages 429-39, December.
- Klasen, Stephan, 2000. "Measuring Poverty and Deprivation in South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.