Liquidity risk and interest rate risk on banks: are they related?
AbstractThe present study aims at ascertaining whether a relationship exists between the liquidity risk and the interest rate risk of credit institutions. By analysing the balance sheet of a small Italian bank during the years 2009 and 2010, we outlined its liquidity profile, the variables that influenced its dynamics and their effects on the bank’s global management, with particular attention to the interest margin and the interest rate risk in the banking book. We would like to fill a gap identified in the literature, shedding light on how a set of decisions designed mainly to reduce the liquidity risk and comply with the new parameters established by the Basel III Framework enables a more effective management of the regulatory capital and helps the bank to achieve a solid balance between profitability and solvency. Our main findings demonstrate that the bank succeeded in modifying its liquidity profile in order to comply with the incoming constraints imposed by the Basel III framework; the actions taken to reduce the liquidity risk also lowered its interest margin, but also enabled the bank to reduce the amount of capital absorbed by the interest rate risk, giving rise to a globally positive effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 41323.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Asset and Liability Management; Basel III Framework; Integration of Liquidity Risk and Interest Rate Risk; Risk Management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-09-22 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2012-09-22 (Central Banking)
- NEP-RMG-2012-09-22 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elisabetta Gualandri & Andrea Landi & Valeria Venturelli, 2009.
"Financial Crisis And New Dimensions Of Liquidity Risk: Rethinking Prudential Regulation And Supervision,"
Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance)
09011, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Facoltà di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Elisabetta Gualandri & Andrea Landi & Valeria Venturelli, 2009. "Financial crisis and new dimensions of liquidity risk: rethinking prudential regulation and supervision," BANCARIA, Bancaria Editrice, vol. 7, pages 24-42, July.
- Alessandri, Piergiorgio & Drehmann, Mathias, 2009.
"An economic capital model integrating credit and interest rate risk in the banking book,"
Working Paper Series
1041, European Central Bank.
- Alessandri, Piergiorgio & Drehmann, Mathias, 2010. "An economic capital model integrating credit and interest rate risk in the banking book," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 730-742, April.
- Alessandri, Piergiorgio & Drehmann, Mathias, 2010. "An economic capital model integrating credit and interest rate risk in the banking book," Bank of England working papers 388, Bank of England.
- Memmel, Christoph, 2010.
"Banks' exposure to interest rate risk, their earnings from term transformation, and the dynamics of the term structure,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2010,07, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Memmel, Christoph, 2011. "Banks' exposure to interest rate risk, their earnings from term transformation, and the dynamics of the term structure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 282-289, February.
- Drehmann, Mathias & Sorensen, Steffen & Stringa, Marco, 2010. "The integrated impact of credit and interest rate risk on banks: A dynamic framework and stress testing application," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 713-729, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.