Unpacking the RFID investment decision
AbstractMandates aside, there are many reasons why firms decide to move forward with or delay investment in RFID technology. In this paper we use a theoretically based, easy to implement methodology to empirically derive a relative importance scale of those factors that influence the decision to invest in RFID technology. More specifically, we compare the factors that matter most and least to a sample of firms that have adopted RFID technology with a sample of firms that have yet to embrace RFID technology. The theoretical and practical implications are that both RFID adopters and non adopters are driven by the promise of greater data accuracy, improved information visibility, service quality, process innovation, and track and trace capabilities. What separates the adopters from the non adopters is an opportunity to derive strategic benefits from RFID through improved decision making. Not surprisingly, the non adopting firms are primarily concerned with the high acquisition and other ongoing costs associated with RFID technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 40507.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Proceedings of the IEEE 9.98(2010): pp. 1672-1680
Radio frequency identification; RFID; technology adoption; information technology; innovation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fosso Wamba, Samuel & Lefebvre, Louis A. & Bendavid, Ygal & Lefebvre, Élisabeth, 2008. "Exploring the impact of RFID technology and the EPC network on mobile B2B eCommerce: A case study in the retail industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 614-629, April.
- Srivastava, Bharatendu, 2004. "Radio frequency ID technology: The next revolution in SCM," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 60-68.
- Bottani, Eleonora & Rizzi, Antonio, 2008. "Economical assessment of the impact of RFID technology and EPC system on the fast-moving consumer goods supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 548-569, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.