Remittances and poverty in Pakistan: a note
AbstractThis note makes two poins. First, that the impact of remittances on poverty depends on who sends the remittances. If those who send it come from poorer households (semi-skilled and unskilled workers), its impact on poverty would be greater. Second, that the manner in which remittances are sent, i.e. through legal or illegal channels, also makes a difference in terms of its overall impact on the economy and through this on poverty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38297.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Remittances; Poverty; Pakistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- F24 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Remittances
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amjad, Rashid, 2006. "Remittances and development in South Asia," MPRA Paper 38296, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Qayyum, Abdul & Javid, Muhammad & Arif, Umaima, 2008. "Impact of Remittances on Economic Growth and Poverty: Evidence from Pakistan," MPRA Paper 22941, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rashid Amjad, 1986. "Impact of Workers' Remittances from the Middle East on Pakistan's Economy: Some Selected Issues," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 25(4), pages 757-785.
- Rashid Amjad & A.R. Kemal, 1997. "Macroeconomic Policies and their Impact on Poverty Alleviation in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 39-68.
- Amjad, Rashid, 2012.
"Stagflation, the Labor Market Impact, and the Poverty Puzzle in Pakistan: A Preliminary Analysis,"
41976, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rashid Amjad, 2012. "Stagflation, the Labor Market Impact, and the Poverty Puzzle in Pakistan: A Preliminary Analysis," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 17(Special E), pages 51-71, September.
- Rashid Amjad & G. M. Arif & M. Irfan, 2012. "Preliminary Study: Explaining the Ten-fold Increase in Remittances to Pakistan 2001-2012," PIDE-Working Papers 2012:86, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.