Existence of equilibrium with unbounded short sales: A new approach
AbstractWe introduce a new approach to showing existence of equilibrium in models of economies with unbounded short sales. Inspired by the pioneering works of Hart (1974) on asset market models, Grandmont (1977) on temporary economic equilibrium, and of Werner (1987) on general equilibrium exchange economies, all papers known to us stating conditions for existence of equilibrium with unbounded short sales place conditions on recession cones of agents' preferred sets or, more recently, require compactness of the utility possibilities set.. In contrast, in this paper, we place conditions on the preferred sets themselves. Roughly, our condition is that the sum of the weakly preferred sets is a closed set. We demonstrate that our condition implies existence of equilibrium. In addition to our main theorem, we present two theorems showing cases to which our main theorem can we applied. We also relate our condition to the classic condition of Hart (1974).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37778.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision: Mar 2012
arbitrage; unbounded short sales; asset market models; sum of weakly preferred sets; existence of equilibrium;
Other versions of this item:
- Vladimir Danilov & Gleb Frank & Frank Page & Myrna Wooders, 2012. "Existence of equilibrium with unbounded short sales: a new approach," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 12-00002, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-10 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, Francois, 1999.
"On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Dana, R.-A. & Le Van, C. & Magnien, F., 1999. "On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 1999.34, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, François, 1996. "On the different notions of arbitrage and existence of equilibrium," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9616, CEPREMAP.
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Le Van, Cuong & Magnien, François, 1999. "On the Different Notions of Arbitrage and Existence of Equilibrium," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6228, Paris Dauphine University.
- Allouch, Nizar & Le Van, Cuong & Page, Frank Jr., 2002.
"The geometry of arbitrage and the existence of competitive equilibrium,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 373-391, December.
- Allouch, Nizar & Le Van, Cuong & Page, Jr. Frank H., 2001. "The geometry of arbitrage and the existence of competitive equilibrium," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 598, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977.
"Temporary General Equilibrium Theory,"
Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-72, April.
- Page, F.H.Jr. & Wooders, M.H. & Monteiro, P.K., 1999.
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
561, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Allouch, Nizar, 2002. "An equilibrium existence result with short selling," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 81-94, April.
- Green, Jerry R, 1973. "Temporary General Equilibrium in a Sequential Trading Model with Spot and Futures Transactions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1103-23, November.
- Hammond, Peter J., 1983. "Overlapping expectations and Hart's conditions for equilibrium in a securities model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 170-175, October.
- Nielsen, Lars Tyge, 1989. "Asset Market Equilibrium with Short-Selling," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 467-73, July.
- Werner, Jan, 1987. "Arbitrage and the Existence of Competitive Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1403-18, November.
- Milne, Frank, 1980. "Short-Selling, Default Risk and the Existence of Equilibrium in a Securities Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(2), pages 255-67, June.
- Page Jr., Frank H. & Wooders, Myrna Holtz, 1996. "A necessary and sufficient condition for the compactness of individually rational and feasible outcomes and the existence of an equilibrium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 153-162, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.