A pro bit analysis of the incidence of the cotton leaf curl virus in Punjab, Pakistan
AbstractFactors affecting the incidence of the cotton leaf curl virus (CLCV) in Punjab, Pakistan are investigated using a probit model. The results indicate that the history of a cotton valiety grown on the farm, better land preparation before sowing, and use of pesticides and phosphorus fertiliser significantly reduce the probability of incidence of the CLCV disease. The fanners having greater areas under cotton are less likely to be affected by the disease. Fields of the more expe.ienced fanners, who have greater years of fonnal education, are also less likely to be affected. because these farmel are believed to be better managers. However, the probability of damage was positively related to age of the farmer, which implies that the aged fanners have less managerial capabilities. The intensity of the disease varied from district to disllict and also from variety to variety. Use of greater amounts of nitrogenous fertiliser. more severe insect attacks, and late sowing of the cotton crop significantly increase the incidence of the CLCV disease.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37706.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The Pakistan Development Review 2.36(1997): pp. 155-165
Probit Analysis; Cotton Leaf Curl Virus; Agriculture; Pakistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A1 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. K. Kwakyi & J. E. Epperson & S. M. Fletcher & D. H. Carley, 1989. "Probit analysis of market participants' attitudes toward selected market alternatives for us farmers' stock peanuts," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 107-119.
- J. E. Epperson & M. H. So & S. M. Fletcher & D. H. Carley, 1988. "Profile analysis of market participants' attitudes toward selected market alternatives for US shelled peanuts," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(5), pages 433-452.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1981. "Qualitative Response Models: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1483-1536, December.
- Iqbal, Muhammad & Khan, M. Azeem & Ahmad, Munir, 2002.
"Adoption of Recommended Varieties: A Farm level Analysis of Wheat Growers in Irrigated Punjab,"
2537, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2002.
- Muhammad Iqbal & M. Azeem Khan & Munir Ahmad, 2002. "Adoption of Recommended Varieties: A Farm-level Analysis of Wheat Growers in Irrigated Punjab," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 41(1), pages 29-48.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.