Six Degrees of Separation : Operational Separation as a Remedy in European Telecommunications Regulation
AbstractNumerous proposals have been made for separation in the telecommunications sector, some of which have been implemented, including the break-up of the Bell system in the 1980s and the widespread implementation of accounting separation. In recent years, attention has been focussed on operational separation. This paper identifies the problem that this is intended to tackle, lists a number of possible variants and discusses experiences in the UK. Having specified the circumstances under which operational separation may be justified, it suggests how provisions for such separation could be made in European legislation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 3572.
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
telecomunications; regulation; operational separation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-06-18 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EEC-2007-06-18 (European Economics)
- NEP-NET-2007-06-18 (Network Economics)
- NEP-REG-2007-06-18 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kirsch, Fabian & Hirschhausen, Christian von, 2008.
"Regulation of NGN: Structural Separation, Access Regulation, or No Regulation at All?,"
8822, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabian KIRSCH & Christian von HIRSCHHAUSEN, 2008. "Regulation of NGN: Structural Separation, Access Regulation, or No Regulation at All?," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(69), pages 63-84, 1st quart.
- Matthias Finger & Christian Jaag & Markus Lang & Martin Lutzenberger & Urs Trinkner, 2009. "Bestimmung des Regulierungsbedarfs aus Ã¶konomischer Sicht: Angemessenheit und Folgen einer funktionalen oder strukturellen Trennung von Swisscom," Studies and Reports, Swiss Economics, Swiss Economics, pages 1-92, February.
- Mancuso, Paolo, 2012. "Regulation and efficiency in transition: The case of telecommunications in Italy," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 762-770.
- HÃ¶ffler, Felix & Kranz, Sebastian, 2011. "Legal unbundling can be a golden mean between vertical integration and ownership separation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 576-588, September.
- GonÃ§alves, Ricardo & Nascimento, Ãlvaro, 2010.
"The momentum for network separation: A guide for regulators,"
Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 355-365, August.
- Ricardo GonÃ§alves & Ãlvaro Nascimento, 2009. "The momentum for network separation: a guide for regulators," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers), Faculdade de Economia e GestÃ£o, Universidade CatÃ³lica Portuguesa (Porto) 03, Faculdade de Economia e GestÃ£o, Universidade CatÃ³lica Portuguesa (Porto).
- Harnisch, Christian, 2009. "Funktionale Separierung als strategisches Regulierungsinstrument auf dem europÃ¤ischen Telekommunikationsmarkt," Arbeitspapiere 83, WestfÃ¤lsche Wilhelms-UniversitÃ¤t MÃ¼nster (WWU), Institut fÃ¼r Genossenschaftswesen.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner & Matthias Finger, 2009. "Umsetzungsvarianten einer aktiven Ã¶ffentlichen FTTH-Policy fÃ¼r die Schweiz," Studies and Reports, Swiss Economics, Swiss Economics, pages 1-84, September.
- Annemijn van GORP & Catherine MIDDLETON, 2010. "Fiber to the Home Unbundling and Retail Competition: Developments in the Netherlands," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(78), pages 87-106, 2nd quart.
- Bauer, Johannes M. & Shim, Woohyun, 2012. "Regulation and digital innovation: Theory and evidence," 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 60364, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.