The competitiveness of Polish manufacturing export on the EU market in the years 2004-2006
AbstractThis article aims to determine the levels and bases of competitiveness of Polish exports of industrial products in the Common Market on the background of selected countries. The results of the analysis carried out by Constant Market Share, applied to the decomposition of the growth of Polish exports, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary to the EU market during the period 2004-2006 indicated that Poland became a (toogether with Czech Republic), a leader in terms of structure and level of competitiveness in the EU market for industrial goods. The main source of growth in exports of Polish on the EU market during the period was the increase in the competitiveness of exported goods to this market. In addition, a systematic increase in Polish exports in 2004-2006 was due to positive changes in the commodity structure of Polish. Products that generate the greatest positive effect of competition in the period were the same for all countries analyzed. Among these were the most technologically advanced departments, such as machinery and mechanical appliances, electrical machinery and equipment and vehicles other than railway. Matrix analysis of competitiveness Polish, Czech, Hungary and Slovakia to the EU market in 2004-2006 pointed to the strongly increasing the effectiveness of Polish exports of industrial goods of high quality, with a dominant but ineffective form of price competition on the EU market. In 2006, Poland has the EU market a positive trade balance in the category of high-quality industrial goods, which may indicate emerging, new, effective form of competition on the EU market
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 33651.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision: 2008
Publication status: Published in Working Papers Institute of International Business University of Gdańsk 2008.may(2008): pp. 75-81
export; competitiveness; poland;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karl Aiginger & Michael Landesmann, 2002. "Competitive Economic Performance: The European View," WIFO Working Papers 179, WIFO.
- Aiginger, K., 1998. "A framework for evaluating the dynamic competitiveness of countries," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 159-188, June.
- Aiginger, Karl, 1997. "The Use of Unit Values to Discriminate between Price and Quality Competition," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(5), pages 571-92, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.