Identificarea regimului cursului de schimb valutar în republica moldova
AbstractIt has been noted that there is an inconsistency between Moldova's monetary authorities' declared pursuit of price stability and the de facto exchange rate peg. This paper looks into the exchange rate regime of the Moldovan leu (MDL) aiming to identify the de facto regime, to test whether it can be described by a basket peg (and, if so, to determine the composition of this basket), and whether the regime has been stable over time (and, if not, to detect and date regime shifts). The methodologies used in our analysis include the celebrated Frankel-Wei regression, a Kalman filter algorithm and empirical fluctuation process. We show that MDL generally follows a peg to USD with varying implicit weight and fluctuation bands. The paper is organized as follows. Section 1 provides an insight into the exchange rate regime of Moldova by identifying the main trends and developments in its foreign exchange market. Section 2 reviews the economic literature on exchange rate regime identification. Section 3 describes the data used in the analysis. Section 4 explains the methodologies. Section 5 provides an interpretation of the results obtained. Finally, Section 6 summarizes the main findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 32232.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
price stability; exchange rate regime; inflation; currency basket;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graciela Kaminsky & Saul Lizondo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1998.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 1-48, March.
- Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 1997. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," IMF Working Papers 97/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997. "Leading indicators of currency crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1852, The World Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," MPRA Paper 6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- International Monetary Fund, 2008. "Republic of Moldova," IMF Staff Country Reports 08/274, International Monetary Fund.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Xie, Daniel, 2010.
"Estimation of De Facto Flexibility Parameter and Basket Weights in Evolving Exchange Rate Regimes,"
4454158, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Daniel Xie, 2010. "Estimation of De Facto Flexibility Parameter and Basket Weights in Evolving Exchange Rate Regimes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 568-72, May.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Xie, Daniel, 2010. "Estimation of De Facto Flexibility Parameter and Basket Weights in Evolving Exchange Rate Regimes," Working Paper Series rwp10-003, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Daniel Xie, 2009. "Estimation of De Facto Flexibility Parameter and Basket Weights in Evolving Exchange Rate Regimes," NBER Working Papers 15620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Daniel, 2010. "Estimation of De Facto Flexibility Parameter and Basket Weights in Evolving Exchange Rate Regimes," Working Paper Series WP10-1, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Benassy-Quere, Agnes & Coeure, Benoit & Mignon, Valerie, 2006. "On the identification of de facto currency pegs," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 112-127, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.