Distributional results for thresholding estimators in high-dimensional Gaussian regression models
AbstractWe study the distribution of hard-, soft-, and adaptive soft-thresholding estimators within a linear regression model where the number of parameters k can depend on sample size n and may diverge with n. In addition to the case of known error-variance, we define and study versions of the estimators when the error-variance is unknown. We derive the finite-sample distribution of each estimator and study its behavior in the large-sample limit, also investigating the effects of having to estimate the variance when the degrees of freedom n-k does not tend to infinity or tends to infinity very slowly. Our analysis encompasses both the case where the estimators are tuned to perform consistent model selection and the case where the estimators are tuned to perform conservative model selection. Furthermore, we discuss consistency, uniform consistency and derive the minimax rate under either type of tuning.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31882.
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Thresholding; Lasso; adaptive Lasso; penalized maximum likelihood; finite-sample distribution; asymptotic distribution; variance estimation; minimax rate; high-dimensional model; oracle property;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leeb, Hannes & P tscher, Benedikt M., 2003.
"The Finite-Sample Distribution Of Post-Model-Selection Estimators And Uniform Versus Nonuniform Approximations,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 100-142, February.
- Hannes Leeb & Benedikt M. Poetscher, 2000. "The Finite-Sample Distribution of Post-Model-Selection Estimators, and Uniform Versus Non-Uniform Approximations," Econometrics 0004001, EconWPA.
- Hannes Leeb & Benedikt M. Poetscher, 2005.
"Sparse Estimators and the Oracle Property, or the Return of Hodges' Estimator,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1500, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Apr 2007.
- Leeb, Hannes & Potscher, Benedikt M., 2008. "Sparse estimators and the oracle property, or the return of Hodges' estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 201-211, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.