A future for (analytical) Marxism?
AbstractAndrew Levine analyses the theoretical legacy of recent Marxist schools, focusing in particular on analytical Marxism (AM). He argues that AM is uniquely suited to provide the foundations for a revival of Marxist theory. In this paper, Levine’s reconstruction of the core of Marxism and his analysis of the trajectory of AM are critically discussed. Although the theoretical contribution of AM should not be overlooked, some objectionable methodological and theoretical tenets of AM, and in particular of Rational Choice Marxism, are discussed, which help to explain the demise of the school. Various directions for further research are suggested, which emphasise the importance of structural constraints and endogenous preferences.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30864.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Analytical Marxism; methodological individualism; rational choice theory; endogenous preferences; structural constraints;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B51 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Socialist; Marxian; Sraffian
- B24 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Socialist; Marxist; Scraffian
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lebowitz, Michael A, 1994. "Analytical Marxism and the Marxian Theory of Crisis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 163-79, April.
- Veneziani, Roberto & Mohun, Simon, 2006. "Structural stability and Goodwin's growth cycle," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 437-451, December.
- Veneziani, Roberto, 2007. "Exploitation and time," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 189-207, January.
- J. MUYSKENS & C. de Neubourg, 1986. "Introduction," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain), UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) 1986031, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Roberto Veneziani, 2013.
"Exploitation, inequality and power,"
Journal of Theoretical Politics, ,
, vol. 25(4), pages 526-545, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.