Dividend Yield and Stock Return in Different Economic Environment: Evidence from Malaysia
AbstractThis study investigates the relationship between dividend yields and stock returns in bull and bear markets. Evidences from developed countries show that there should be a positive correlation between dividend yields and stock return in bear markets and a negative correlation between dividend yields and stock return during the bull markets. Findings of this study, in emerging market content, show that there is a positive relation between dividend yield and stock returns in both bull and bear markets which are not consistent with previous works.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 23841.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Dividend Yield; Stock Return; Economic Environment; Bull/Bear Market; Malaysia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- G35 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Payout Policy
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2010-07-17 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-SEA-2010-07-17 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saumitra N. Bhaduri & S. Raja Sethu Durai, 2006. "Asymmetric beta in bull and bear market conditions: evidences from India," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 55-59, January.
- Owain ap Gwilym & Gareth Morgan & Stephen Thomas, 2000.
"Dividend Stability, Dividend Yield and Stock Returns: UK Evidence,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3-4), pages 261-281.
- Owain ap Gwilym & Gareth Morgan & Stephen Thomas, 2000. "Dividend Stability, Dividend Yield and Stock Returns: UK Evidence," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3&4), pages 261-281.
- Lockwood, Larry J. & McInish, Thomas H., 1990. "Tests of stability for variances and means of overnight/intraday returns during bull and bear markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1243-1253, December.
- Gombola, Michael J & Liu, Feng-Ying L, 1993. "Dividend Yields and Stock Returns: Evidence of Time Variation between Bull and Bear Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 28(3), pages 303-27, August.
- Kim, Moon K. & Zumwalt, J. Kenton, 1979. "An Analysis of Risk in Bull and Bear Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(05), pages 1015-1025, December.
- Chen, Son-Nan, 1982. "An Examination of Risk-Return Relationship in Bull and Bear Markets Using Time-Varying Betas," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 265-286, June.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Wood, Robert A & McInish, Thomas H & Ord, J Keith, 1985. " An Investigation of Transactions Data for NYSE Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 723-39, July.
- Fabozzi, Frank J & Francis, Jack Clark, 1977. "Stability Tests for Alphas and Betas over Bull and Bear Market Conditions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1093-99, September.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.