Holding together regionalism and the interaction of functional bureaucracies
AbstractThe paper focuses on regional integration projects established by countries originally comprising a single political entity after its collapse. It shows that in this framework the existing economic ties between countries are likely to adversely affect the interests of functional bureaucracy to support regional integration given the cutting off the existing connections is often more promising from the point of view of the budget expansion. Hence, interaction of national and supranational bureaucracies is unlikely to generate impetus for increasing regional cooperation. On the other hand, external economic shocks are likely to boost “holding-together” regionalism. The empirical case for the analysis is that of the regional cooperation of the post-Soviet countries in the area of transportation and power utilities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 23217.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
holding-together regionalism; regional integration; bureaucracy; post-Soviet countries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- P26 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Political Economy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2010-06-18 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-TRA-2010-06-18 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vinokurov, Evgeny, 2010. "The Evolution of Kаzakhstan's Position on Relations with Russia in 1991-2010," MPRA Paper 22187, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vinokurov, Evgeny, 2009. "The CIS Common Electric Power Market," MPRA Paper 20910, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Libman, Alexander & Vinokurov, Evgeny, 2010.
"Is it really different? Patterns of regionalization in the post-Soviet Central Asia,"
21062, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Libman, Alexander & Vinokurov, Evgeny, 2010. "Is it really different? Patterns of regionalisation in the post-Soviet Central Asia," Frankfurt School - Working Paper Series 155, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management.
- Kurmanalieva, Elvira & Vinokurov, Evgeny, 2011. "Holding together or falling apart:Results of gravity equation of the CIS trade," MPRA Paper 32003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.