Social networks, job mobility and industry evolution
AbstractIn this paper I present a model that was built in order to analyse the interdependencies between labour market dynamics and the evolution of industries’ structure, in situations where interpersonal links among workers influence individuals’ job decisions. The model was inspired by the case of industries that rely heavily on highly skilled labour and in which problems of incomplete information abound. The causal mechanisms here proposed constitute an alternative explanation for a number of well-known regularities of industry evolution and of labour mobility, being arguably more suitable to the analysis of those industries than the formal models available in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 2313.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- L84 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Personal, Professional, and Business Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Thomas Sargent, . "Matlab code for Jovanovic's matching model," QM&RBC Codes, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles 24, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.