The growth and size of the Brazilian mutual fund industry
AbstractThis article describes the evolution of the Brazilian mutual fund industry, its regulatory framework, organization, types of investors and managers, economic environment and its relative growth. It shows the evolution of this industry in Brazil and its idiosyncrasies providing a deeper look into one of the largest emerging market mutual fund industries. It emphasizes the growth of independent managers with more complex assets and sophisticated strategies that resemble international hedge funds. There are many popular and academic explanations for the mutual funds growth, some of which were tested in this article using a time series framework. The results suggest that financial market innovation and market risk are significant variables in explaining growth. Common variables like economic growth, regulation and taxes were not found to be statistically significant. We conclude with a comparison between the evolution of the Brazilian and US mutual fund industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 21581.
Date of creation: 16 Mar 2010
Date of revision:
emerging markets; Brazilian financial market; hedge funds; mutual funds; international asset allocation.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- N26 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sofia B. Ramos, 2009. "The Size and Structure of the World Mutual Fund Industry," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 15(1), pages 145-180.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A., 1999. "A primer on hedge funds," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 309-331, September.
- Khorana, Ajay & Servaes, Henri & Tufano, Peter, 2005. "Explaining the size of the mutual fund industry around the world," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 145-185, October.
- Klapper, Leora & Sulla, Victor & Vittas, Dimitri, 2004. "The development of mutual funds around the world," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-38, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.