Are Pound and Euro the Same Currency? - Updated
AbstractBased on long range dependence, some analysts claim that the exchange rate time series of the pound sterling and of an artificially extended euro have been locked together for years despite daily changes [1, 9]. They conclude that pound and euro are in practice the same currency. We assess the long range dependence over time through Hurst exponents of pound-dollar and extended euro-dollar exchange rates employing three alternative techniques, namely rescaled range analysis, detrended fluctuation analysis, and detrended moving average. We find the result above (which is based on detrended fluctuation analysis) not to be robust to the changing techniques and parameterizing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1981.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
False euro; exchange rates; financial efficiency; Hurst exponent; R/S analysis; detrended fluctuation analysis; detrending moving average;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991.
"Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-313, September.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "RSSTATISTIC: RATS procedure to compute R/S Statistic (classical or Lo's modified)," Statistical Software Components RTS00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Ausloos, M & Ivanova, K, 2000. "Introducing False EUR and False EUR exchange rates," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 286(1), pages 353-366.
- K. Ivanova & M. Ausloos, 2001. "False EUR exchange rates vs. DKK, CHF, JPY and USD. What is a strong currency?," Papers cond-mat/0103033, arXiv.org.
- Couillard, Michel & Davison, Matt, 2005. "A comment on measuring the Hurst exponent of financial time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 348(C), pages 404-418.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O & Tabak, Benjamin M, 2004. "The Hurst exponent over time: testing the assertion that emerging markets are becoming more efficient," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 336(3), pages 521-537.
- Carbone, A. & Castelli, G. & Stanley, H.E., 2004. "Time-dependent Hurst exponent in financial time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 267-271.
- Ruan, Yong-Ping & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2011. "Long-term correlations and multifractal nature in the intertrade durations of a liquid Chinese stock and its warrant," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(9), pages 1646-1654.
- Xie, Wen-Jie & Jiang, Zhi-Qiang & Zhou, Wei-Xing, 2014. "Extreme value statistics and recurrence intervals of NYMEX energy futures volatility," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 8-17.
- Zhi-Qiang Jiang & Wen-Jie Xie & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2012. "Testing the weak-form efficiency of the WTI crude oil futures market," Papers 1211.4686, arXiv.org.
- Wen-Jie Xie & Zhi-Qiang Jiang & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2012. "Extreme value statistics and recurrence intervals of NYMEX energy futures volatility," Papers 1211.5502, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.