Introducing False EUR and False EUR exchange rates
AbstractThe Euro (EUR) is a new currency introduced by the European Community. Its exchange rate is very puzzling. We have invented a false Euro (FEUR) dating back to 1993 and have derived the exchange rates of the FEUR with respect to currencies not belonging to the EUR, i.e., DKK,CHF,JPY and USD. This allows us to search for correlations between the fluctuations preexisting to the introduction of EUR and present ones in such financial data. The detrended fluctuation analysis (DFA) statistical method is used. This leads to assume a power-law behavior, i.e., a scaling hypothesis, through an exponent α. The latter has demonstrated its usefulness for the investigations of long-range power-law correlations in several types of financial sequences. Our findings show that the α exponent interestingly characterizes fractional Brownian motion of the currency exchange rates between EUR and DKK over a 25 day interval, and usual Brownian motion otherwise and for the three other investigated exchange rates. We can devise an investment strategy based on the localα technique and obtain appreciable gains for the time being.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 286 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Econophysics; Detrended fluctuation analysis; Foreign currency exchange rate; Euro; Hurst exponent; Scaling hypothesis;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mariani, M.C. & Florescu, I. & Beccar Varela, M.P. & Ncheuguim, E., 2010. "Study of memory effects in international market indices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(8), pages 1653-1664.
- Raul Matsushita & Andre Santos & Iram Gleria & Annibal Figueiredo & Sergio Da Silva, 2005. "Are Pound and Euro the Same Currency?," International Finance 0505002, EconWPA.
- Matsushita, Raul & Gleria, Iram & Figueiredo, Annibal & Da Silva, Sergio, 2007. "Are Pound and Euro the Same Currency? - Updated," MPRA Paper 1981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sergio Da Silva, 2004. "International Finance, Levy Distributions, and the Econophysics of Exchange Rates," International Finance 0405018, EconWPA.
- Mariani, M.C. & Libbin, J.D. & Kumar Mani, V. & Beccar Varela, M.P. & Erickson, C.A. & Valles-Rosales, D.J., 2008. "Long correlations and Normalized Truncated Levy Models applied to the study of Indian Market Indices in comparison with other emerging markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(5), pages 1273-1282.
- Matsushita, Raul & Gleria, Iram & Figueiredo, Annibal & Rathie, Pushpa & Da Silva, Sergio, 2004.
"Exponentially damped Lévy flights, multiscaling, and exchange rates,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 333(C), pages 353-369.
- Sergio Da Silva, 2004. "Exponentially Damped Levy Flights, Multiscaling, and Exchange Rates," Finance 0405027, EconWPA.
- Orłowski, A. & Struzik, Z.R. & Syczewska, E. & Załuska-Kotur, M.A., 2004. "Fluctuation dynamics of exchange rates on Polish financial market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 184-189.
- Wang, Dong-Hua & Yu, Xiao-Wen & Suo, Yuan-Yuan, 2012. "Statistical properties of the yuan exchange rate index," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(12), pages 3503-3512.
- Siqueira, Erinaldo Leite & Stošić, Tatijana & Bejan, Lucian & Stošić, Borko, 2010. "Correlations and cross-correlations in the Brazilian agrarian commodities and stocks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(14), pages 2739-2743.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.