Reflexões sobre a Avaliação do Quadro Fiscal Regional: Implicações para o Algarve
[Reflections on “The Evaluation of the Regional Fiscal Framework”: Implications for the Algarve]
AbstractThe article discusses the central conclusions of the study "Evaluation of Regional Fiscal Framework: Business Location and Local Finance" (Barreira, 2008). A reflection on some of the core principles of local finance, equity and benefit, shows that there are inconsistencies in the case of the Algarve. The region has generated tax revenue above the national average in which the property taxes have a disproportionate weight. This situation underlines the dependency of municipalities in the Algarve to the real estate activities around tourism. The number of companies registered does not adequately represent the level of economic activities carried out in the region. Many firms have the headquarters situated in other regions and fracture the desired balance between the recipient and taxpayer. The paper shows that a correction of this problem could increase the weight of the Algarve's economy in the national total and significantly increase the regional tax revenues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18515.
Date of creation: 15 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Local Finance; Algarve; Benefit; Tax Revenue;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- H3 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2009-11-14 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-TUR-2009-11-14 (Tourism Economics)
- NEP-URE-2009-11-14 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1968. "The Theory of Public Finance in a Federal System," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 1(1), pages 37-54, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.