Enhancing the efficiency of local government in the context of reducing the administrative expenditures
AbstractThe concerns on enhancing the efficiency of public administration, in particular the local government, are moreover present in the concerns of local authorities and specialised literature. Those concerns become more important taking into consideration the conditions of the actual economic crisis. Approached concurrently with public sector performance, enhancing the efficiency may have various resources. Among those resources it is worth to mention “better regulation” concerning public administration and reducing the administrative expenditures. Those two resources are not disjunctive, they are characterised by direct link and determination. Structured on three chapters, the paper focuses on a model aimed to determine the impact of reducing the administrative expenditures on the efficiency of local public services. This model inscribes in the efforts aiming to measure the efficiency in the public sector, efforts visible in the specialised literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 17640.
Date of creation: 29 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
efficiency; administrative expenditures;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H70 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - General
- H83 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Public Administration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2009-10-10 (Public Economics)
- NEP-URE-2009-10-10 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2010.
"Public sector efficiency: evidence for new EU member states and emerging markets,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(17), pages 2147-2164.
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2006. "Public Sector Efficiency: Evidence for New EU Member States and Emerging Markets," Working Papers Department of Economics 2006/01, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Afonso, António & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito, 2006. "Public sector efficiency: evidence for new EU member states and emerging markets," Working Paper Series 0581, European Central Bank.
- Afonso, António & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito, 2003.
"Public sector efficiency: an international comparison,"
Working Paper Series
0242, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2005. "Public sector efficiency: An international comparison," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 123(3), pages 321-347, June.
- International Monetary Fund, 1998. "Public Sector Efficiency and Fiscal Austerity," IMF Working Papers 98/56, International Monetary Fund.
- Ani Matei & Lucica Matei, 2007. "Systemic Models of Local Development," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 1(1(506)), pages 11-24, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.