Infrastructure and Regional Development: Interlinkages in India
AbstractImbalances in regional infrastructural availability have been a major reason behind lopsided development in India. This paper examines the veracity of this argument in light of empirical results at the district level using a multidimensional approach with sub-sectoral, sectoral and composite indices of development and infrastructural availability. Significant association between infrastructural and development levels of regions is observed, though the magnitude has declined in recent years. This association is different for regions at different stages of development. The findings suggest that identification of specific requirements of different regions, benefit-cost analysis, followed by infrastructural expansion are major planks of balanced regional development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 12807.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Infrastructure; Regional; Planning; India;
Other versions of this item:
- Rajarshi Majumder, 2005. "Infrastructure And Regional Development: Interlinkages In India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 40(2), pages 167-184, December.
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Majumder, Rajarshi, 2004. "Infrastructure And Regional Development In India," MPRA Paper 4814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Majumder, Rajarshi, 2003. "Infrastructural Facilities in India: District Level Availability Index," MPRA Paper 4779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.