Software Provision and the Impact of Market Integration
AbstractBoth deeper market integration and advances in digital technology have driven particularly large decreases in the costs of intermarket software provision. In this note, we first explain the mechanism of how trade costs in uence the software provision decisions of software firms. Then, we investigate the transformation of production/trade patterns given gradually decreasing trade costs for software products. It is shown that, if two incompatible types of hardware exist, deeper market integration may reduce the variety of hardware technologies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10982.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
software provision; market integration;
Other versions of this item:
- Kazumichi Iwasa & Toru Kikuchi, 2011. "Software Provision and the Impact of Market Integration," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 685-696, 09.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-13 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BEHRENS, Kristian & GAIGNE, Carl & OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco I.P. & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Countries, regions and trade: on the welfare impacts of economic integration,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1936, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Behrens, Kristian & Gaigne, Carl & Ottaviano, Gianmarco I.P. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2007. "Countries, regions and trade: On the welfare impacts of economic integration," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1277-1301, July.
- Kristian Behrens & Carl Gaigne & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Jacques-FranÃ§ois Thisse, 2007. "Countries, regions and trade: on the welfare impacts of economic integration," Working Papers 10661, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 42(3), pages 691-751, September.
- Kikuchi, Toru & Iwasa, Kazumichi, 2008.
"Competing Industrial Standards and the Impact of Trade Liberalization,"
8802, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Toru Kikuchi & Kazumichi Iwasa, 2011. "Competing Industrial Standards and the Impact of Trade Liberalization," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2), pages 269-284.
- Toru Kikuchi & Kazumichi Iwasa, 2009. "Competing Industrial Standards and the Impact of Trade Liberalization:Revised and Enlarged," Discussion Papers 0913, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.