Asia-Pacific telecommunications liberalisation and productivity performance
AbstractThis study examines the growth in total factor productivity (TFP) of 12 Asia-Pacific telecommunications carriers for the period 1987 through 1990. Carriers are chosen to represent the stages of telecommunications liberalisation identified by the International Telecommunication Union (1995a). A model relating TFP growth to output growth, changes in output mix, technology change and market competition and private ownership is estimated on a unique data set obtained from telecommunications carrier annual reports. Empirical results show competition, private ownership, technology change and scale economies improve carrier TFP growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10884.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Australian Economic Papers 42.1(2003): pp. 91-102
Asia-Pacific telecommunications; liberalisation and productivity performance;
Other versions of this item:
- Gary Madden & Scott J. Savage & Jason Ng, 2003. "Asia-Pacific Telecommunications Liberalisation and Productivity Performance," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 91-102, 03.
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Madden & Scott J. Savage, 2000.
"Market Structure, Competition, and Pricing in United States International Telephone Service Markets,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 291-296, May.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J, 2000. "Market structure, competition, and pricing in United States international telephone service markets," MPRA Paper 11161, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-52, June.
- Gort, Michael & Sung, Nakil, 1999. "Competition and Productivity Growth: The Case of the U.S. Telephone Industry," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 678-91, October.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Zhang, Yimin, 1995. "Competition and Allocative Efficiency: The Case of the U.S. Telephone Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 82-96, February.
- Gary Madden & Scott Savage, 2001. "Productivity Growth And Market Structure In Telecommunications," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 493-512.
- Byambaakhuu, Badamasuren & Kwon, Youngsun & Rho, Jaejeung, 2012. "Productivity grwoth and efficiency changes in the Mongolian mobile communications industry," 19th ITS Biennial Conference, Bangkok 2012: Moving Forward with Future Technologies - Opening a Platform for All 72521, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Massón-Guerra, José Luis, 2007.
"Evolución de la Eficiencia Productiva de una empresa privatizada: El Caso del Grupo Telefónica de España
[Productive Efficiency in Telefonica]," MPRA Paper 13463, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.