Risk Management by the Basel Committee: Evaluating Progress made from the 1988 Basel Accord to Recent Developments
AbstractThis paper traces developments from the inception of the 1988 Basel Capital Accord to its present form (Basel II). In highlighting the flaws of the 1988 Accord, an evaluation is made of the Basel Committee’s efforts to address such weaknesses through Basel II. Whilst considerable progress has been achieved, the paper concludes, based on one of the principal aims of these Accords, namely the management of risk, that more work is still required particularly in relation to hedge funds and those risks attributed to non bank financial institutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10051.
Date of creation: Aug 2008
Date of revision:
risk; management; regulation; banks; Basel; Committee;
Other versions of this item:
- Marianne Ojo, 2010. "Risk management by the Basel Committee: Evaluating progress made from the 1988 Basel Accord to recent developments," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(4), pages 305-315, November.
- Ojo, Marianne, 2008. "Risk management by the Basel Committee: evaluating progress made from the 1988 Basel Accord to recent developments," MPRA Paper 26365, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2010.
- K2 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2008-09-05 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-09-05 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2008-09-05 (Business Economics)
- NEP-REG-2008-09-05 (Regulation)
- NEP-RMG-2008-09-05 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simona E. Cociuba, 2009. "Seeking stability: what's next for banking regulation?," Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, vol. 4(apr).
- Marc Saidenberg & Til Schuermann & May, . "The New Basel Capital Accord and Questions for Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 03-14, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Balogh Peter & BOLOCAN DRAGOS-MIHAIL, 2010. "The Management Of Credit Risk According To Internal Ratings- Based Approach," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 665-671, December.
- Saulo Cardoso Maia & Valéria Gama Fully Bressan & Wagner Moura Lamounier & Marcelo José Braga, 2013. "Earnings management in Brazilian credit unions," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 10(4), pages 91-109, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.