Trends in Inequality, Welfare, and Growth in Pakistan, 1963-64 to 2004-05
AbstractThe present study investigates the trends in inequality, welfare, and growth based on per capita household income/consumption in Pakistan, both its rural and urban areas, from 1963-64 to 2004-05. It employs Gini coefficient to measure inequalities and the Sen welfare index to estimate welfare. Real per capita mean incomes/consumption are worked out to analyse growth. The study finds fluctuating trends in inequality, and rising trends in both welfare and growth. In general, inequality, welfare, and growth remain higher in the urban areas. The study finds income inequality to be more severe as compared to consumption inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its series PIDE-Working Papers with number 2009:53.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Income Distribution; Welfare; Per Capita Income; Gini Coefficient; Pakistan;
Other versions of this item:
- Nadia Zakir & Muhammad Idrees, 2009. "Trends in Inequality, Welfare, and Growth in Pakistan, 1963-64 to 2004-05," Microeconomics Working Papers 22983, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2009-08-02 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2009-08-02 (Development)
- NEP-HAP-2009-08-02 (Economics of Happiness)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S.M. Naseem, 1973. "Mass Poverty in Pakistan. Some Preliminary Findings," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 12(4), pages 317-360.
- Zafar Mahmood, 1984. "Income Inequality in Pakistan. An Analysis of Existing Evidence," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 23(2-3), pages 365-379.
- Hasan, Dr. Syed Akif & Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz & Osman, Mohammad, 2012. "Co-movements of consumption patterns of high and low involvement products," MPRA Paper 37659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz & Hasan, Dr. Syed Akif & Osman, Ms. Amber, 2012. "Do consumers buy bread and diamond with the same attachment?," MPRA Paper 45094, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.