Deriving Weights for Additivity of Chained Volume Measures in the National Accounts
AbstractIn current practice in all countries, subaggregate chained volume measures (CVMs) are not weighted and, thus, not additive. However, weights are necessary because without them, nonadditivity permits the nonsensical result that a subaggregate CVM could exceed the aggregate CVM. This paper derives weights to make the sum of weighted subaggregates equal the aggregate (i.e., additivity) and avoid this nonsensical result. The weights are ratios of subaggregate to aggregate chained price deflators that exceed, equal, or fall below 1 depending on relative prices. CVMs in current practice are additive only in the special case of constant relative prices when all weights equal 1. Without weights, they are not additive when relative prices change and, in this case, empirical results show that nonadditivity could significantly distort the sectoral composition of GDP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 2011-08.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
chained volume measure; GDP in chained prices; additivity weight; chained index; consistency in aggregation;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-10 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dumagan, Jesus C., 2010.
"Computing Additive Chained Volume Measures of GDP Subaggregates,"
DP 2010-16, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Jesus C. Dumagan, 2010. "Computing Additive Chained Volume Measures of GDP Subaggregates," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23094, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Dumagan, Jesus C., 2011. "Implementing Weights for Additivity of Chained Volume Measures in the National Accounts," Discussion Papers DP 2011-09, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1978. "Superlative Index Numbers and Consistency in Aggregation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 883-900, July.
- Dumagan, Jesus C., 2012. "Consistent GDP Aggregation and Purchasing Power Parity," Discussion Papers DP 2012-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.