Deceleration in the Export Sector of Bangladesh and Women Workers: Assessing Impacts and Identifying Coping Strategies
AbstractBased on extensive sample survey, the paper provides insights into the impact of the deceleration experienced by Bangladesh’s RMG sector during 2001. The study attempts to capture the impact on the livelihood concerns of women workers particularly in terms of family-poverty, women’s employment and women’s empowerment. It further identifies coping strategies of the women in the face of the emerging hardship and makes recommendations to address the attendant challenges with a view to creating employment opportunities, particularly for working women in the context of Bangladesh.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) in its series CPD Working Paper with number 26.
Length: 69 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2003
Date of revision:
Export; women worker; International trade; Bangladesh;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, Indigenous Peoples, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenaway, David & Nelson, Douglas, 2000. "The Assessment: Globalization and Labour-Market Adjustment," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 1-11, Autumn.
- Davidson, Carl & Matusz, Steven J, 2000. "Globalization and Labour-Market Adjustment: How Fast and at What Cost?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 42-56, Autumn.
- Debapriya Bhattacharya & Mustafizur Rahman, 2000. "USA Trade and Development Act 2000: A Response from Bangladesh Perspective," CPD Working Paper, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) 6, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD).
- Debapriya Bhattacharya & Mustafizur Rahman, 2000. "Seeking Fair Market Access For Bangladesh Apparels In The Usa: A Strategic View," CPD Working Paper, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) 11, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Avra Bhattacharjee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.