H Index: A Statistical Proposal
AbstractThe measurement of the quality of academic research is a rather controversial issue. Recently Hirsch has proposed a measure that has the advantage of summarizing in a single summary statistics all the information that is contained in the citation counts of each scientist. From that seminal paper, a huge amount of research has been lavished, focusing on one hand on the development of correction factors to the h index and on the other hand, on the pros and cons of such measure proposing several possible alternatives. Although the h index has received a great deal of interest since its very beginning, only few papers have analyzed its statistical properties and implications, typically from an asymptotic viewpoint. In the present work we propose an exact statistical approach to derive the distribution of the h index. To achieve this objective we work directly on the two basic components of the h index: the number of produced papers and the related citation counts vector, by introducing convolution models. Our proposal is applied to a database of homogeneous scientists made up of 131 full professors of statistics employed in Italian universities. The results show that while ”sufficient” authors are reasonably well detected by a crude bibliometric approach, outstanding ones are underestimated, motivating the development of a statistical based h index. Our proposal offers such development and in particular exact confidence intervals to compare authors as well as quality control thresholds that can be used as target values.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management in its series DEM Working Papers Series with number 039.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2013
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-04-27 (Econometrics)
- NEP-SOG-2013-04-27 (Sociology of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Gabaix, 2008.
"Power Laws in Economics and Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
14299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Izsak, F., 2006. "Maximum likelihood estimation for constrained parameters of multinomial distributions--Application to Zipf-Mandelbrot models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 1575-1583, December.
- Dalla Valle, L. & Giudici, P., 2008. "A Bayesian approach to estimate the marginal loss distributions in operational risk management," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 3107-3127, February.
- Beirlant, J. & Einmahl, J.H.J., 2007.
"Asymptotics for the Hirsch Index,"
Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research
2007-86, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jan Beirlant & John H. J. Einmahl, 2010. "Asymptotics for the Hirsch Index," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 37(3), pages 355-364.
- Cerchiello, Paola & Giudici, Paolo, 2012. "On the distribution of functionals of discrete ordinal variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 82(11), pages 2044-2049.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alice Albonico).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.