Foreign Direct Investment in Industrial Transition: The Experience of Vietnam
AbstractThis paper examines the role of foreign direct investment (FDI) in the process of industrial transition in Vietnam in the context of market-oriented reforms undertaken over the past two decades. The findings are consistent with the conventional wisdom that concomitant liberalization of trade and investment regimes, accompanied by creating a congenial environment for market-based decisions by the private agents, is vital for reaping developmental gains form FDI. During the 1990s growth of employment in foreign invested enterprises (FIEs) lagged behind output growth, reflecting the capitalintensity bias of production in a partially-liberalized economy. This pattern has changed notably in recent years as the reform process gained momentum. Of particular significance in this connection is the growing importance of assembly activities by FIEs in electronics and other high-tech industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2009-20.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Vietnam; Asia; foreign direct investment; transitional economy; multinational enterprises;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
- P23 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Factor and Product Markets; Industry Studies; Population
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2009-12-19 (Development)
- NEP-TRA-2009-12-19 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2008. "Trade and Investment Patterns in Asia : Regionalisation or Globalisation?," EABER Working Papers 21794, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.