Spatial Accessibility Of Health Care In Indiana
AbstractHealthy populations and access to health care services are significant factors influencing economic development and prosperity. Since geographic access is an essential feature of an overall health system, it is important for health service researchers to develop accurate measures of physical access to health. In this paper we develop a series of gravity-based health care accessibility measures for all the counties in Indiana. The measures go beyond local availability of health care services within a county and account for travel impedance via distance-discounted health care services accessible throughout the state. When applied to Indiana counties, the results show sharp disparities in health care accessibility with extensive pockets of poor accessibility in rural and peripheral areas. The research concludes with a demonstration of how spatial accessibility measures can be beneficially used to evaluate of policies indicative of changes in the provision of health services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics in its series Working Papers with number 07-07.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
spatial accessibility; health care; geographic information systems (GIS);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2008-01-26 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IAS-2008-01-26 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-URE-2008-01-26 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2013.
"Accesibilidad geográfica y equidad en la prestación del servicio de salud: un estudio de caso para Barranquilla,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
010853, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2013. "Accesibilidad geográfica y equidad en la prestación del servicio de salud: un estudio de caso para Barranquilla," Borradores de Economia 770, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gerson Javier Pérez Valbuena, 2013. "Barranquilla: avances recientes en sus indicadores socioeconómicos, y logros en la accesibilidad geográfica a la red pública hospitalaria," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 010766, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Debby Weber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.