International Business Cycles: Regime Shifts in the Stochastic Process of Economic Growth
AbstractThis paper analyzes regime shifts in the stochastic process of economic growth of six major OECD countries over three decades. For the statistical measurement of the underlying global business cycle, we generalize Hamilton's model of the US business cycle to a Markov-switching vector auto-regressive time series model. Applying the model to six series of quarterly GNP growth rates, the paper provides empirical evidence for the dominance of common shocks as the source of international business cycles. For all countries, business cycles can be identified as regime shifts in the mean growth rate occuring mainly simultaneously across countries.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 99194.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
BUSINESS CYCLES ; ECONOMIC GROWTH;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Moritz Cruz, 2005. "The business cycle in a financially deregulated context: Theory and evidence," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 271-287.
- Alexis Cruz-Rodriguez, 2013.
"Choosing and Assessing Exchange Rate Regimes: a Survey of the Literature,"
Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review,
Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 28(2), pages 37-61, October.
- Cruz Rodriguez, Alexis, 2009. "Choosing and assessing exchange rate regimes: A survey of the literature," MPRA Paper 16314, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Igor Alexandre Clemente de Morais & Marcelo Savino Portugal, 2003.
"Business Cycle in the Industrial Production of Brazilian States,"
Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
e75, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Marcelo Savino Portugal & Igor Alexandre Clemente de Morais, 2004. "Business Cycle In The Industrial Production Of Brazilian States," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 23, Econometric Society.
- Krolzig, H.-M. & Toro, J., 2001.
"Classical And Modern Business Cycle Measurement: The European Case,"
Economics Series Working Papers
9960, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig & Juan Toro, 2004. "Classical and modern business cycle measurement: The European case," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig & Juan Toro, 2002. "Classical and Modern Business Cycle Measurement: The European Case," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2002/20, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.