Economic Impacts of the Phase-Out in 2005 of Quantitative Restrictions under the Agreement on Textiles and Clothing
AbstractThis paper discusses the economic impacts of the phase-out of the Multi-Fibre Arrangement (MFA), which was provided for under the 1994 Agreement on Textiles and Clothing (ATC). It presents an overview of the integration process of textile and clothing products into the GATT, takes stock of the most recent changes in the global textile and clothing (T&C) markets, and analyses some major economic impacts and strategies adopted by producers in OECD and non-OECD countries to survive in the post-MFA global competitive arena.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Trade Policy Papers with number 90.
Date of creation: 22 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
trade; textiles; Agreement on Textiles and Clothing (ATC); quotas; clothing; Multi-Fibre Arrangement (MFA); adjustment; quality competition; vertical differentiation; horizontal differentiation; price competition;
Other versions of this item:
- Margit Molnar & Przemyslaw Kowalski, 2008. "Economic impacts of the phase-out in 2005 of quantitative restrictions under the Agreement on textiles and Clothing," STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), in: Unveiling Protectionism: Regional Responses to Remaining Barriers in the Textiles and Clothing Trade, pages 49-83 pag United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keiko Ito & Kyoji Fukao, 2005. "The Vertical Division of Labor and Japanese Outward FDI: Impacts on Human Capital Deepening in Japan (in Japanese)," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University d05-115, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Fukunishi, Takahiro & Yamagata, Tatsufumi, 2013. "Slow and steady wins the race : how the garment industry leads industrialization in low-income countries," IDE Discussion Papers, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO) 412, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Shamnaaz B. Sufrauj, 2012. "The implications of the elimination of the multi-fibre arrangement for small remote island economies: A network analysis," Department of Economics Working Papers 1201, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.