Competition Policy and Innovation
AbstractThis paper seeks to improve understanding of the links between innovation and competition policy. It is intended to help OECD Member countries identify ways in which they can design and implement policies that best promote innovation while protecting against anti-competitive behaviour. Special attention is given to the need for firms to co-operate during the innovation process, e.g. by forming joint ventures and by engaging in co-operative standard setting activities, and the special challenges such co-operation poses for competition policy. The paper specifically addresses competition challenges that arise from inter-firm co-operation that aims to commercialise inventions, diffuse innovation more broadly throughout the economy, or extend and elaborate on existing technology. Although the economic principles articulated here apply across the entire economy, the paper focuses attention on the information and communications technology sector, where the opportunities for innovation ... Politique de la concurrence et innovation Ce papier a pour objectif de contribuer à une meilleure compréhension des relations entre innovation et politique de la concurrence afin d’aider les pays-Membres de l’OCDE à identifier des orientations pour la conception et la mise en œuvre de politiques de soutien à l’innovation tout en restreignant les pratiques anti-concurrentielles. Une attention spéciale est portée sur les besoins de coopération entre firmes au cours du processus d’innovation, à travers notamment la formation de joint ventures ou la détermination de standards communs, ainsi que sur les enjeux posés à la politique concurrentielle par la coopération technologique. Dans cette perspective, ce papier discute spécifiquement des enjeux liés à la concurrence que soulèvent les coopérations inter-firmes ayant pour objectifs la commercialisation des inventions, l’accroissement de la diffusion des innovations dans l’économie, ou encore l’élaboration à partir de technologies existantes. Bien que les principes économiques ...
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers with number 2002/11.
Date of creation: 22 Apr 2002
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- COZZI, Guido & TAROLA, Ornella, 2004. "Mergers, innovation, and inequality," CORE Discussion Papers 2004006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ren� Belderbos & Leo Sleuwaegen & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2010. "Market Integration and Technological Leadership in Europe," European Economy - Economic Papers 403, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Oecd, 2004. "Patents and Innovation: Trends and Policy Challenges," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000000502, David K. Levine.
- Christine Greenhalgh & Padraig Dixon, 2002.
"The Economics of Intellectual Property: A Review to Identify Themes for Future Research,"
Economics Series Working Papers
135, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Padraig Dixon & Christine Greenhalgh, 2003. "The Economics of Intellectual Property: A Review to Identify Themes for Future Research," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000645, David K. Levine.
- Jalles, João Tovar, 2010. "How to measure innovation? New evidence of the technology-growth linkage," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 81-96, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.