Risk Management in Agriculture in Canada
AbstractThis report analyses the agricultural risk management system in Canada, applying a holistic approach that considers the interactions between all sources of risk, farmers‘ strategies and policies. The policy analysis is structured around three layers of risk that require a differentiated policy response: normal (frequent) risks that should be retained by the farmer, marketable intermediate risks that can be transferred through market tools, and catastrophic risk that requires government assistance. The main policy issue in this report is the definition of the boundaries of these different layers. In Canada the system is overcrowded with policies and unable to signal risk layers in which farmers should take their own responsibility of management. Policies include AgriInvest, AgriInsurance, AgriStability, AgriRecovery and ad hoc measures. The analysis of AgriStability provides insights about the economics of agricultural income stabilization policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers with number 40.
Date of creation: 10 Feb 2011
Date of revision:
insurance; risk-management; agricultural policy; montecarlo simulations; catastrophic risk income stabilization; policy targeting;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-02-19 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-02-19 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-IAS-2011-02-19 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2011-02-19 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kimura, Shingo & Anton, Jesus & Cattaneo, Andrea, 2012. "Effective Risk Management Policy choices under Climate Change: An Application to Saskatchewan Crop Sector," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126736, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Poon, Kenneth, 2013. "Risky Business: Factors Affecting Participation Rate of AgriStability," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150978, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Pigeon, Mathieu & Frahan, Bruno Henry de & Denuit, Michel, 2012. "Actuarial evaluation of the EU proposed farm income stabilisation tool," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122485, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Liesivaara, Petri & Myyra, Sami & Jaakkola, Antti, 2012. "Feasibility of the Income Stabilisation Tool in Finland," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122537, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.