Firm Dynamics in New Zealand: A Comparative Analysis with OECD Countries
AbstractPrevious work has suggested that New Zealand’s firm dynamics and business demographics show a high proportion of small firms, small average firm size, and high rates of firm and employment turnover by comparison with other OECD countries. This paper reports on new comparative analyses of New Zealand’s firm dynamics and business demography that attempt to control for measurement differences, using data from Statistics New Zealand’s Business Demographic Statistics database, the OECD firm-level project, and the OECD’s analysis of the Eurostat database. The variables investigated include firm size, firm turnover (entry and exit) rates, employment turnover rates, firm survival rates, and firm growth. The findings suggest that once measurement differences are taken into account, overall New Zealand’s firm dynamics and demographics are broadly similar to many other OECD countries. Potential policy implications of these findings are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New Zealand Treasury in its series Treasury Working Paper Series with number 04/11.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: New Zealand Treasury, PO Box 3724, Wellington, New Zealand
Phone: +64-4-472 2733
Fax: +64-4-473 0982
Web page: http://www.treasury.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Firm Size; Firm Dynamics; Firm Growth; Entry and Exit;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Crawford, Ron & Fabling, Richard & Grimes , Arthur & Bonner, Nick, 2004. "Determinants of National R&D and Patenting: Application to a Small, Distant Country," Occasional Papers 06/2, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- David Law & Bob Buckle & Dean Hyslop, 2006. "Toward a Model of Firm Productivity Dynamics," Treasury Working Paper Series 06/11, New Zealand Treasury.
- Sid Durbin, 2004. "Review of Workplace Skills, Technology Adoption and Firm Productivity: A Review," Treasury Working Paper Series 04/16, New Zealand Treasury.
- Greene, Francis, 2012. "Should the focus of publicly provided small business assistance be on start-ups or growth businesses?," Occasional Papers 12/2, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- Sanderson , Lynda, 2004. "Trade and Networks: Mechanisms for Productivity Growth," Occasional Papers 06/5, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web and Publishing Team, The Treasury).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.