Competition and interest rates in the Dutch mortgage market: an econometric analysis over 2004-2010
AbstractTriggered by evidence that the mortgage interest margins have risen since 2009, an econometric analysis is conducted to explain the interest rates in the Dutch mortgage market at the bank level ver 2004 – 2010. Controlling for the influence of costs, risks and also for some regulatory measures, we find statistically significant evidence that the degree of competition in the Dutch mortgage market (measured by C3 or HHI) affected the level of the mortgage interest rates. An increase in market concentration equal to the size of its standard deviation over the period of analysis raised the mortgage interest rate by approximately 0.10 to 0.20 percentage points. The impact of costs as well as risks appears to be about twice as large as the impact of market concentration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Competition Authority in its series NMa Working Papers with number 5.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-06-25 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-URE-2011-06-25 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carbó, Santiago & Humphrey, David & Maudos, Joaquín & Molyneux, Philip, 2009.
"Cross-country comparisons of competition and pricing power in European banking,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 115-134, February.
- Carbo, Santiago & Humphrey, David & Maudos, Joaquin & Molyneux, Philip, 2006. "Cross-Country Comparisons of Competition and Pricing Power in European Banking," MPRA Paper 15258, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
- Humphrey David & Carbó Valverde Santiago & Maudos Villarroya Joaquín & Molyneux Philip, 2006. "Cross-Country Comparisons of Competition and Pricing Power in European Banking," Working Papers 201036, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Santiago Carbó Valverde & David Humphrey & Joaquin Maudos & Philip Molyneux, 2006. "Cross-country comparisons of competition and pricing power in European banking," Proceedings 1107, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hempenius).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.