Price effects of Dutch hospital mergers, An ex post assessment of hip surgery
AbstractThis study analyses price effects of two mergers in the Dutch healthcare industry. We investigate whether the merging hospitals raised their prices for hip surgery after the merger and, if so, how patients react to this higher price. For the Ziekenhuis Hilversum – Ziekenhuis Gooi-Noord merger, we found a statistically significant price increase for hip surgery, whereas for the Erasmus MC ziekenhuis – Havenziekenhuis Rotterdam merger, we did not find a significant price increase due to the merger. For both mergers, travel behaviour of patients prior and after the merger increased only slightly. As we studied only one treatment, hip surgery, we cannot draw conclusions on the overall price effect of the mergers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Netherlands Competition Authority in its series NMa Working Papers with number 2.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Ron Kemp & Nikki Kersten & Astrid Severijnen, 2012. "Price Effects of Dutch Hospital Mergers: An Ex-post Assessment of Hip Surgery," De Economist, Springer, vol. 160(3), pages 237-255, September.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-01-16 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HEA-2011-01-16 (Health Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martin Gaynor & Robert J. Town, 2011. "Competition in Health Care Markets," NBER Working Papers 17208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hempenius).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.