The Uneasy Case for the Priority of Secured Claims in Bankruptcy: Further Thoughts and a Reply to Critics
AbstractIn an earlier article, The Uneasy Case for the Priority of Secured Claims in Bankruptcy,' 105 Yale Law Journal 857 (1996), we suggested that the case for a full priority of secured claims in bankruptcy is an uneasy one. In this paper, we address various reactions and objections to our analysis that have been offered by subsequent work. We also further develop some of the main elements of the analysis in our earlier article with respect to both our analysis of the comparative merits of full and partial priority and our analysis of how a partial priority regime could be implemented. The analysis confirms our earlier conclusion that the case for a full priority of secured claims in bankruptcy is an uneasy one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 6472.
Date of creation: Mar 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
- K22 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Business and Securities Law
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yeon-Koo Che & Kathryn E. Spier, 2008.
"Strategic judgment proofing,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 39(4), pages 926-948.
- Yeon-Koo Che & Kathryn E. Spier, 2008. "Strategic Judgment Proofing," NBER Working Papers 14183, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Che, Yeon-Koo & Spier, Kathryn, 2006. "Strategic Judgment Proofing," MPRA Paper 6100, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yeon-Koo Che & Kathryn E. Spier, 2005. "Strategic Judgment Proofing," Discussion Papers 0506-14, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Arturo Galindo, 2001. "Derechos de los acreedores y el mercado crediticio ¿Cuál es la situación actual?," Research Department Publications 4260, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Arturo Galindo, 2001. "Creditor Rights and the Credit Market: Where Do We Stand?," Research Department Publications 4259, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Thomas Eger, 2001. "Bankruptcy Regulations and the New German Insolvency Law from an Economic Point of View," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 29-46, January.
- Clas BergstrÃ¶m & Theodore Eisenberg & Stefan Sundgren, 2004. "On the Design of Efficient Priority Rules for Secured Creditors: Empirical Evidence from A Change in Law," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 273-297, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.