Development Value Chains Meet Business Supply Chains: The concept of Global Value Chains unraveled
AbstractValue chain promotion is considered a key element of private sector development strategies and pro-poor growth. However, (value) chain concepts are rather complex and unclear. this paper unravels the concept of global value chains and studies the diversity of key value chain-related (supply chain, commodity chain, value chain) approaches. To this aim, we reviewed academic literature and donor agencies' reports, and consulted a limited number of key informants of donor agencies. This paper distinguishes between the strategic management perspective and the development perspective and reviews added values and limitations of each approach. The results suggest that practitioners use an eclectic approach towards the value chain concept, although the concept originates from clearly distinctive paths and could be susceptible to miscommunication and misuse. The authors avoid misunderstanding by explicitly opting for a public and pro-poor perspective of the concept of the Global Value Chain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht School of Management in its series Working Papers with number 2011/08.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-25 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuliani, Elisa & Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2005.
"Upgrading in Global Value Chains: Lessons from Latin American Clusters,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 549-573, April.
- Elisa Giuliani & Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2004. "Upgrading in global value chains: lessons from latin american clusters," Working Papers 72, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- repec:idb:brikps:48618 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maud de By).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.