Origines des inégalités de niveaux de vie dans les villes africaines
AbstractThis paper examines how different income sources affect urban households income inequality in four sub-saharian african countries. The empirical evidence is obtained by applying the " equalised nested Shapley " inequality decomposition by factor components. It shows first that demographics components and primary incomes play the major role in the inequality observed and thattransfer incomes play a marginal role. Secondly, an household classification is introduced in order to capture the socioeconomic differences between households. It reveals both national and intra-group specificities in the causes of inequalities.(Full text in French)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV in its series Documents de travail with number 74.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D33 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Factor Income Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 1995. "Croissance économique, pauvreté et inégalité des revenus en Afrique subsaharienne: analyse comparative," Documents de travail 11, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Lerman, Robert I & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1985. "Income Inequality Effects by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 151-56, February.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1982. "Inequality Decomposition by Factor Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 193-211, January.
- Jean-Marc Montaud, 2003. "Dotations en capital et pauvreté des ménages au Burkina Faso : une analyse en Équilibre Général Calculable," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 17(1), pages 43-71.
- Frédéric Chantreuil, 2000. "Axiomatics of Level Structure Values," Homo Oeconomicus, Institute of SocioEconomics, vol. 17, pages 177-191.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.