Labor Standards and Trade
AbstractThis paper explores the wide disparity of views on issues of international labor standards and the available options for addressing the issues involved. The discussion and analysis include: the definition and scope of labor standards; theoretical aspects of the economic effects of labor standards and the available empirical evidence; global, regional, national/unilateral, and other arrangements for the monitoring and enforcement of labor standards; and implications for policy in dealing with labor standards. It is argued that, because of the diversity of labor standard in countries with differing national characteristics, policies, and institutions, the case for devising WTO rules and disciplines to improve core labor standards in low-income countries cannot be convincingly made. Further, there are no compelling theoretical and empirical grounds to support the international enforcement and harmonization of labor standards.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan in its series Working Papers with number 457.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
LABOUR MARKET ; STANDARDS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rémi Bazillier, 2004. "Core labour standards and economic growth," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla04088, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (FSPP Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.