Export Diversification And Technological Improvement: Recent Trends In The Portuguese Economy
AbstractThis paper uses dynamic measures to study the changes in the Portuguese export pattern. We identify long run trends of change in the structure of the Portuguese exports, and also discuss that the recent years might be a turning point in what concerns the acceleration of the growth of the Portuguese exports, the increase of structural change in the export pattern and also of reversing the excessive concentration in the Portuguese export markets. We focus particularly on export based indicators that are related with the trade and growth literature, and in this way could reveal the contribution of the evolution of the exports to the convergence of the Portuguese economy with the European Union. We identify four important changes in former trends: First the recovery of the trend of increasing openness of the Portuguese economy (that was interrupted since the beginning of the 1990’s); Second the recent evidence of export market diversification, that interrupts the trend of concentration of the exports in the EU market; Third the trend of structural change in the export pattern, that seems to have accelerated in recent years; Fourth the increase in the technological intensity of exports, which in recent years became the main driver of the increase in the exports, in a more marked way than in most European countries. We also find that the trend of convergence of the Portuguese export structure with that of the EU continued in recent years, with an important decrease in the distance between the Portuguese structure of exports and that of the European Union. As a result of this convergence there was a significant gain in the share of intra-industry trade. We argue that each of the five trends found here should be expected to be associated in a positive way with the prospects of income convergence between Portugal and the EU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação in its series GEE Papers with number 0006.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision: Apr 2008
Dynamics of international specialisation; structural change; trade liberalisation; technology transfers.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O50 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação & João Cerejeira & Miguel Portela, 2009.
"Aggregate and sector-specific exchange rate indexes for the Portuguese economy,"
NIPE Working Papers
13/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação & João Cerejeira & Miguel Portela, 2009. "Aggregate and sector-specific exchange rate indexes for the Portuguese economy," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 30, pages 6-28, December.
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação & João Cerejeira & Miguel Portela, 2009. "Aggregate and sector-specific exchange rate indexes for the Portuguese economy," GEMF Working Papers 2009-05, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Fernando Alexandre & Pedro Bação & João Cerejeira & Miguel Portela, 2009. "Aggregate and sector-specific exchange rate indexes for the Portuguese economy," GEE Papers 0016, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised May 2009.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas & Ricardo Paes Mamede, 2008. "Structural Transformation and the role of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal: a descriptive analysis for the period 1990-2005," GEE Papers 0009, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Dec 2008.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas & Ricardo Paes Mamede, 2011. "Structural transformation of Portuguese exports and the role of foreign-owned firms: A descriptive analysis for the period 1995-2005," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 33, pages 20-43, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Pinheiro Alves).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.