The Uncertainty of Displacement
AbstractIn this paper, we document the importance of individual variations in wage outcomes of displacement, as opposed to the change in the wage distribution itself. Most of the research on displaced workers has focused on analyzing changes in the wage distribution. We show that, while the changes in the distribution of wages before and after displacement are real, as shown in many previous studies, they are negligible compared to the enormous game of musical chair taking place between workers within these distributions. When studying displaced workers, we show that, from an individual worker's point of view, the change in the distribution of wages matters much less than the draw they will make within these distributions. We show that workers suffer large movements within the distribution of wages before and after displacement. Finally, we show that even with reasonable levels of risk aversion, these large movements inside the wage distribution translate into important losses of utility for the workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Laval - Département d'économique in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 9823.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- J33 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Compensation Packages; Payment Methods
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abbring, J.H. & Berg, G. van den & Gautier, P.A. & Lomwel, A.G.C. van & Ours, J.C. van & Ruhm, C.J., 1998.
"Displaced Workers in The United States and The Netherlands,"
1998-96, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg & Pieter A. Gautier & A. Gijsbert C. van Lomwel & Jan C. van Ours & Christopher J. Ruhm, 1998. "Displaced Workers in the United States and the Netherlands," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-084/3, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.