Abstract"At the annual banking structure and competition conference of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in May 1987, the buzzword heard in the corridors and used by many of the speakers was 'that which can be securitized, will be securitized.'" So notes Hyman Minsky in a prescient memo on the nature, and the implications, of securitization, written 20 years before an explosion in the securitization of home mortgages helped create the current financial crisis. This memo, which served as the basis for a lecture in Minsky's monetary theory class at Washington University, has not been widely circulated. It is published here in its entirety, with a preface and an afterword by Senior Scholar L. Randall Wray that places Minsky's work in context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute, The in its series Economics Policy Note Archive with number 08-2.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-07-14 (Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2008-07-14 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2008-07-14 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MON-2008-07-14 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2008-07-14 (Post Keynesian Economics)
- NEP-URE-2008-07-14 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyman P. Minsky & Charles J. Whalen, 1998.
"Economic Insecurity and the Institutional Prerequisites for Successful Capitalism,"
- Hyman P. Minsky & Charles J. Whalen, 1997. "Economic Insecurity and the Institutional Prerequisites for Successful Capitalism," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 19(2), pages 155-170, January.
- Hyman P. Minsky & Charles J. Whalen, 1996. "Economic Insecurity and the Institutional Prerequisites for Successful Capitalism," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_165, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Dimitri Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 1998.
"The Economic Contributions of Hyman Minsky: varieties of capitalism and institutional reform,"
Review of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 199-225.
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 1997. "The Economic Contributions of Hyman Minsky: Varieties of Capitalism and Institutional Reform," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_217, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 1998. "The Economic Contributions of Hyman Minsky: Varieties of Capitalism and Institutional Reform," Macroeconomics 9802018, EconWPA.
- Jan Kregel, 2008. "Minsky’s Cushions of Safety: Systemic Risk and the Crisis in the U.S. Subprime Mortgage Market," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_93, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Sunanda Sen, 2011. "The Global Crisis and the Remedial Actions: A Nonmainstream Perspective," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_677, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Ilene Grabel, 2008. "The Political Economy of Remittances: What Do We Know? What Do We Need to Know?," Working Papers wp184, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Jan Kregel, 2010. "Can a return to Glass-Steagall provide financial stability in the US financial system?," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 63(252), pages 39-76.
- Orlowski, Lucjan T, 2008.
"Stages of the 2007/2008 Global Financial Crisis: Is There a Wandering Asset-Price Bubble?,"
12696, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Orlowski, Lucjan T., 2008. "Stages of the 2007/2008 Global Financial Crisis Is There a Wandering Asset-Price Bubble?," Economics Discussion Papers 2008-43, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Charles Whalen, 2011. "Minsky Goes to Buffalo—and Takes on the Economics Establishment," Forum for Social Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 273-280, July.
- Lucjan T. Orlowski, 2008. "Stages of the Ongoing Global Financial Crisis: Is There a Wandering Asset-Price Bubble?," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0372, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Ognjen Radonjić & Miodrag Zec, 2010. "Subprime Crisis and Instability of Global Financial Markets," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 57(2), pages 209-224, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.