Subprime Crisis and Instability of Global Financial Markets
AbstractIn order to prescribe adequate remedies to treat the current financial crisis one has to understand what in the first place went wrong. An age ago, older generations wrote that disease could not be cured without an accurate diagnosis. In contrast to mainstream “efficient markets hypothesis” we argue that Minsky’s financial instability hypothesis gives numerous valuable insights into sources and possible consequences of current global financial crisis. Furthermore, two decades ago Hyman P. Minsky predicted possible developments and perils of ever growing process of securitization of illiquid assets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia in its journal Panoeconomicus.
Volume (Year): 57 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.panoeconomicus.rs/
Speculation; Debt; Financial instability hypothesis; Ponzi unit; Securitization.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J.A. Kregel, 1998.
"Yes, "It" Did Happen Again - A Minsky Crisis Happened in Asia,"
- Jan A. Kregel, 1998. "Yes, 'It' Did Happen Again: A Minsky Crisis Happened in Asia," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_234, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Eric Tymoigne, 2009. "Securitization, Deregulation, Economic Stability, and Financial Crisis, Part I--The Evolution of Securitization," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_573_1, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- L. Randall Wray, 2007.
"Lessons from the Subprime Meltdown,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_522, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Jan Kregel, 2008. "Minsky’s Cushions of Safety: Systemic Risk and the Crisis in the U.S. Subprime Mortgage Market," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_93, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Jan Kregel, 2008. "Changes in the U.S. Financial System and the Subprime Crisis," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_530, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- L. Randall Wray & Eric Tymoigne, 2008. "Macroeconomics Meets Hyman P. Minsky: The Financial Theory of Investment," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_543, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Hyman P. Minsky & L. Randall Wray, 2008. "Securitization," Economics Policy Note Archive 08-2, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-15, March.
- Sangjun Jeong & Hueechae Jung, 2013.
"Bank Wholesale Funding and Credit Procyclicality:Evidence from Korea,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 60(5), pages 615-631, September.
- Jeong, Sangjun & Jung, Hueechae, 2011. "Banks' wholesale funding and credit procyclicality: evidence from Korea," MPRA Paper 35568, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthias Nnadi & Nyema Wogboroma & Bariyima Kabel, 2013. "Determinants of Dividend Policy: Evidence from Listed Firms in the African Stock Exchanges," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 60(6), pages 725-741, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ivana Horvat to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.